The WVBHS was organized in Charleston on October 26, 1940 by Dr. E. J. Woofter, Rev. H. A. Jackson, and Dr. L. J. Priestly. The Society was incorporated as a non-profit corporation January 23, 1942.
For many years the historical collection of the Society was kept in the Department of Archives and History in the WV State Capital in Charleston. In 1970 the Society was asked to remove these materials, and they were taken to the office of WV Baptist Convention in Parkersburg.
With the completion of the new Conference Center Building at Parchment Valley the collection of the Historical Society was moved into the rooms in that building, which were planned and built to meet our needs. There is a fire-proof climate controlled vault, a room for museum displays and a library.
The Society is always looking for additional materials to help complete the story of our past. If you have, or know about, items that would be of interest, please contact the Society officers.
The materials in the vault are available for research on the premises by arranging an appointment with the archivist or other board members.